There seems to be a problem with the older MySQL driver and IntelliJ Ultimate. When I tried to connect to a remote MySQL instance using a tunnel, IntelliJ would refuse to connect. IntelliJ would show an error similar to the following: Cannot connect to a database. Tried three times. The linked online help page was not really helpful. I could create the tunnel manually and verify the settings, all seemed fine.
When using variables inside SQL scripts within IntelliJ products (e.g. DataGrip), certain queries will not work because the encodings of the IntelliJ client and the server missmatch. This occurs for instance when you compare variables. A typical error message looks like this: [HY000] Illegal mix of collations (utf8mb4_unicode_520_ci,IMPLICIT) \ and (utf8mb4_general_ci,IMPLICIT) for operation 'like'``` IntelliJ products do not yet support MySQL’s utf8mb4 character set encodings. The problem occurs when using variables in queries.
Eclipse and IntelliJ are both great Java IDEs, which have their own communities, advantages and disadvantages. After having spent a few years in JetBrains IntelliJ Community Edition, I got accustomed to the tight and clean Git integration into the user interface. Now I consider switching back up Eclipse, I stumbled over a few things that I try to describe in this post. IntelliJ and Eclipse Handle Project Structures Differently Eclipse utilises a workspace concept, which allows to work on several projects at the same time.